The epic “Manas” is the most famous example of Kyrgyz culture and the longest epic poem in the world. Twenty times longer than "The Odyssey," and a multifaceted poetic tale so enormous that the Kyrgyz called it "chon jomok – long fairy tale”.This epic narrates the life of the warrior Manas and the adventures of his son and grandson. This story was kept and retold from generation to generation by special people, the storytellers of the Manas epic named the “manaschy”.
The epic is truly could be called an encyclopedia of life of the Kyrgyz people. It gives us the richest insights into the economy, customs, traditions and relations with the environment. Epic gives us an idea of religion, medicine, philosophy, and ethics of the ancient Kyrgyz.
• There are currently over 20,000 Manasists in the country.
• The main variants of the epic "Manas" are considered to be versions of the tale by Sayakbai Karalaev and Sagymbai Orozbakov.
• The epic "Manas" describes about 600 heroes, including kyrk choro
• The largest version of the folk epic has more than five hundred thousand lines. Scientists have recorded a version of the famous storyteller Sayakbai Karalaev, which contains 500 thousand 553 lines.
• There is no greater work in the world than the epic "Manas", and it is rightfully considered the greatest work of world literary heritage
• The trilogy has been inscribed on the UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
• Valikhanov began writing down chapters of the epic in the Arabic alphabet. Thanks to him, Manas has become one of the world's works of folklore.
• In 1995, a celebration was held to commemorate the 1,000th anniversary of the epic "Manas."
REMEMBRANCE OF HIM:
• Monuments to Manas are located in Bishkek: in front of the Philharmonic and in the central square "Ala-Too", in Osh, in Uzgen, in Batken "Manas Ordo", in Talas memorial complex, in Istanbul, etc.
• In his honor was named Manas University, the international airport in Bishkek, a village in the suburbs, a cinema, the highest award of Kyrgyzstan, a lake in China and in Altai, streets in Alma-Ata, Bishkek, in the village of Kyzyl-Adyr and in Jalal-Abad.
• On December 4, the Kyrgyz people celebrate Manas Epos Day.
• “Manas Taanuu” is intellectual game is held on KTRK national TV channel